This Week's Song by The Raconteurs - Top Yourself

10.03.2008

I'm back, baby!

At least temporarily. I submitted the following letter in response to this editorial in the WSJ:
I understand the desire to pass the free trade agreement with Colombia, but to argue that one country (Colombia) “deserves...trade preferences” while others (its Andean neighbors) do not (Pelosi’s Trade Priorities, Oct 1) is the wrong way to go about it. Using trade as a political tool to influence foreign nations has only modest (if that) impact. Nations such as Cuba have lived without access to U.S. markets for 50 years. Who has paid the bulk of the price for that policy? Cuban citizens. Because they have been cut of from the gains from trading with the U.S., they have also been cut off from a higher standard of living. The people of Andean nations do not “deserve” a less harsh treatment simply because of the actions of their political leaders. The ability to freely trade with Americans is not something we should be bestowing upon those nations we feel deserve it. It is something we should allow unmolested not only because it is in the economic interests of the citizens of the U.S. and whoever their trading partners might be but also because it shows that we respect the “unalienable” right of liberty even when the leaders of those foreign nations do not.

Matt Hutchison
Chicago

2 comments:

Robyn said...

I agree with this completely. I understand the desire to punish some of these ridiculous governments. But the citizens of these countries don't deserve such treatment.

I'm glad you're back, baby.

Anonymous said...

Why HELLO HutchCo. I was excited to find this little gem. How is Chicago?
I am excited to be the first person to comment that is not your wife. I am enjoying the blog, keep it up so simple folk like me can know whats going on out there.
Don't go voting for Obama just because you are in his back yard. If you do, I'm gonna come gethca.
Will G.